CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Writer's Block

Uuuuggghhh....I am at a complete void. I have my Activity Day girls coming over tomorrow and I feel as though I don't know what in the world to do with them. I have lots of great ideas of things to do that would be fun, but none of them apply. It seems as though, the last 5 times I've had it, they've either been fun days or were working on "Developing Talents". Well I am all out of ideas for fun days and all out of ideas for "Developing Talents". I want another topic.


For those who read my blog who don't know what Activity Days are, this is what it is: For all girls in our Sunday school (which we call Primary) between the ages of 8-12 we gather them together every other week and do different activities. We alternate between "fun days" where no description is really necessary as it is just that...we do something fun, without any particular focus. Other times, we get together and have small lessons, or projects, or events that pertain to a number of areas, including 'Developing Talents'. The whole idea of this program is to further prepare the girls for challenges they will face as teens and adulthood. The program teaches all sorts of topics, including how to use a budget, humanitarian projects, being in the service of others, etc.

So anyway, I have my girls tomorrow, and I haven't the slightest idea what to do. All my good ideas, I already used for Fun Days or they don't apply to our topic or I've already done something I could have used this time, the last time I had them. I'm running out of time and I feel like I'm facing a brick wall.

6 comments:

Juan and Anamaria said...

You have probably done this, but our they came into Relief Society and asked us to help by choosing a date we can have the girls come to our house and we can teach them how to cook fast, quick, healthy meals so that when they go away to school, live on their own, or get married they have food that they can prepare quick and healthy that they have actually seen prepared. It has worked really well. Also, some have shared their favorite recipies, instead of the quick meals. You can call it your version of "Food Network."Just an idea! :)

Lisa said...

Something you need to remember is that you DO NOT need to control all the activities! GUEST SPEAKERS, ETC. DEBIE would be a neat person to have over with all of her unique skill sets. What about Iris & her pet training / grooming skills. I assume she's a dog expert since she provided a website to use.

What about an AEROBIC class or SWIM lesson at IRENE's LIFEGUARD taught by KRISTEN. You know what I mean? OR have ABUELA come and share an ORIGINAL HERITAGE STORY & then have a URUGuayan treat. Dang...I have so many ideas I should be a leader. Hahaha. Too late to call Daniel cuz he's heading this way but he'd be a good one to ask to teach a COMPUTER skill.

GOOD LUCK.

j. said...

I don't see why you need a different activity every week. If it was fun the first time around, it'll probably be fun the second time, too. I would repeat my most successful fun day.

They're kids. They're not going to judge your lack of creativity. They just want to be together and have a cool adult's attention.

Lisa said...

What's your topic? You said that some of your ideas don't apply to your topic?

Anyways, everyone already had great ideas. Maybe tell them that they have to babysit Leo with you watching in the corner, and make sure he has fun and is fed and stuff. A crash course :)

Iris said...

How about how to shop for food at the super market. They can make a list of ingredients they need, and shop for the best prices. They can include volume requirements, such as 12 oz cans, or 3 cups of flour etc...and then they can come home and make something :)

Lisa said...

Iris triggered an idea! How about Thrift Shop Shopping. A fashion show with karaoke!

I like the idea of having only $5 and then buying food, clothing or what have you for a WEEK! What was the topic anyways...?