CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Family Dynamics

I have come to learn that with any family, whether large or small, there is always a dynamic. Different personalities, different upbringings, different priorities. However, regardless of whatever the dynamics might be, we must strive to coincide. We must put forth the effort to make us able to coexist, and truly become a family unit.

This goes for every facet of the family...immediate families, new couples just starting out, large families, young families...it's all the same. And with that, we are all faced with a similar choice. Is it worth it? Family plays such a huge role in the gospel and to our Heavenly Father, that our answer must always be, 'yes, it is worth it'.

We may not always get along, heck, we may not always like each other for that matter, but we are stuck with one another regardless. So why then, is it so difficult to put for the effort in trying to get along? Making family work can be one of the most grueling and difficult challenges we will ever have to face...but also the most rewarding. I see as our own family grows, and our own personal families grow even larger, expanding now to include yet another generation, the difficulties continue. But, maybe, just maybe, if we stop periodically to search out the good instead of focusing on our flaws, the question of 'is it worth it?' won't be so daunting.

So with that being said, to all my family, each and every one of you...I love you and I am glad you are my family, flaws and all, and thank you for accepting mine.

4 comments:

Iris said...

I totally agree with you. And it's nice to know that every family has these issues. Sometimes I look at other families and I think, "Wow, they are so perfect." But getting to that point takes effort from every one. And really, they may not be so perfect, but have learned to make it work. Good blog!

Juan and Anamaria said...

Very true! Families are definetely worth all the trouble, because when the chips are down, they are the only ones you can really count on! Elizabeth, I'm glad that you are my family, you have always brought joy and laughter to my life, and I'm grateful for you! :)

Lisa said...

Mmmm.....What's going on Liz? What happened?

It's always WORTH it. For the sake of the children, it is NECESSARY. The children are the ones who carry the family forward. How we treat each other is SIgNIficant.
'
YOU KNOW WE ALL LOVE YOU ALOT! You have very unique qualities and I know it's not a coincidence that you are the youngest of your siblings.

I enjoyed your reflection today! Lots of love n hugs sent your way Girl! "ZAP!"

Lisa said...

My first thought is, "What did I do to offend Liz?"

But seriously, you're right. I remember being frustrated in my original family because I didn't get to PICK them, so why should I LOVE them? But now I see that just by the experiences that we share and have gotten through, we are now close, and there is love.