CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nutrition

Leo eats very well. It has never been much of an issue for us. Even when I stopped breastfeeding, he latched onto a bottle without the slightest sign of distress. So now, suddenly, he has stopped eating. OK, not completely...but compared to his normal self. He almost completely skips lunch these days, maybe having only a few bites, and breakfast is hit and miss. Sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't.

My father in law, bless his heart, got Leo these yogurt drink things (yo on the go). Leo loves them. They are a little high in the sugar content, more than I like for him to have, but a least he's getting something nutritious from it, right?

Well today, his lunch consisted of 2 bites of chicken, some ketchup and a couple of croutons...is that as bad as I think it sounds?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey, Jonathan's doing a similar thing right now. It's always these pedia-sure drinks that are the only things he'll have.

I've heard that kids their age go through stints like this, and that it's shocking since they just kept increasing and increasing how much they ate in the first year. I'd say that as long as he doesn't again ask to eat an hour later, then he's probably fine.

Iris said...

I was listening to a radio talk show about this recently. The person giving advice to the mother said to leave the kid alone. When he is ready and hungry, he will say so. That sounded so wrong to me. My way is the way I was taught growing up, which is, you clean your plate. No matter how full you are. I think I would do something in the middle.

Lisa said...

I think kids know when they're hungry. I also think those yogurt things are good and filling. And my last tidbit of opinion is that as long as the kid is having regular bowel & urination movement & acts normal. No need to worry. Those are signs of good health.

I can see his cuteness in my minds eye. He is such a cute kid & today when I heard Daniel saying things to him in between our conversation-I just thought that was so cute! Anyway...I'll get off the soap box now!

Debie said...

I concur with Lisa, as long as they are going to the bathroom regular they are fine. Just wait, the growth spurt will kick in and you will be feeding him every 20 minutes or so. That is where we are. No kidding, every 20 minutes.

K. Baez said...

so I've been in a few nutrition classes and done some research.... not that that means that i know anything, but what i learned made sense.

We have a natural trigger in our body that tells us when we are full and when we are hungry. when we are young, this is very natural and instinctive-we can't really eat more than we can handle. but as we grow and are forced to finish meals, we can override this mechanism-we can eat when we're not hungry.

anyways, i read this research on the parent child relationship regarding eating. the parents job is to provide a variety of healthful foods and the baby/ child will naturally choose the foods it needs, eating no more than necessary. so what you should do is have a regular schedule for eating-breakfast snack lunch snack dinner snack, however many times you feel appropriate. you provide the food, and he eats and dont let him eat junk in the middle, because kids play the system and dont eat one meal, act hungry and then just ask for sweets. it's all about structure... so they say. we'll see when i have another mouth to feed.