So I am about 1 month late in getting Leo his 18-month well visit. You may recall I had cursed my previous pediatrician vowing never to return. It took me longer than I had hoped to get a replacement, but I am happy to report, that we met with our new pediatrician today, and I very happy. I even think, that perhaps, it was worth the 5-week wait to get in. Now that I am a regular patient, I should be able to get in right away when ever its needed.
I spoke with the Pediatrician today at length about my concerns with my last doctor. He was so convinced that Leo was showing the beginning signs of autism because of delays with his speech and inability to properly identify all the parts of his face -- I was horrified and it had me in a tizzy. I realize now looking back that I got so upset about it because of two things. A) Momma Bear protects her cub and B) The doctor failed to properly communicate his concerns to me and left me with a horrible misconception.
I was expressly clear at this visit with our new pediatrician, that if there is something to be concerned about, I want to act quickly and get him the help that he needs. I will not act as though nothing is wrong just because I am afraid to admit something is wrong with my child. I am not that parent, I am my child's advocate and will do all that I can for him. As I sat discussing this and all my concerns with my new pediatrician, she took her time and thoroughly explained precautionary steps to be taken at the 18-month well visit based on recommendations from the American Pediatric Association. My fears were calmed, and we proceeded with doing an Autism evaluation for Leo just to be safe. She felt that it was important to do, since a concern was raised previously from Leo's caring physician. She concluded her evaluation quickly, saying that I have nothing to worry about. Luckily, he displayed not even one symptom or characteristic of an autistic child. She said if she had found anything that might have concerned her, she would insist we conduct further evaluations every 6-weeks -- she doesn't think that will be necessary for him. We'll check back at his 2-year visit and take it from there.
I was very happy with my visit. Not just because Leo has been cleared for the time but because this doctor took her time with me. She listened to my fears and addressed each concern seperately. She is going to do some research on some vaccines I am not comfortable with and discuss it with me at our next visit. She worked hard at trying to make my son feel comfortable with her and her staff did so as well.
Best of all, she is 4-miles from my home! I won't be making a half hour drive in traffic anymore. I think we will be very happy here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Please tell me that is our lovely pediatrician? If it is she is amazing and remembers everything about my boys from the last visit. Her word is law according to my sons and they would do anything for her.
I'm glad your fears have bee put to rest. Do check out the vaccinations though.
Don't you love a doctor you can trust? Yes! Now you can get on with life & LIVE! See you in a few days! How was the Zoo anyways?
Wow, that is so great. I know the difference between good doctors and bad ones from working in a doctor's office--there is DEFINITELY a difference in care.
Oh yay! This is great news! At last you found the one you were looking for. Hope this one is for keeps. I know how you must have felt, trying to find the right ped for Leo.
I'm glad that you found a Dr. that listens to you, and is thorough!
You are a good Momma Bear! I'm proud of the Mom that you are! :)
This post made me so happy, Liz. I'm so glad that you were able to find a caring physician that took the time to both listen to and assuage your fears.
Post a Comment