CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Can you say OCD?

Both Leonard and I are OCD in our own ways. So it should not come as a surprise to me that LL is becoming totally obsessive as well. I'm all about the routine, I stick to it religiously. That has its drawbacks though, because LL is very decided on how things should be and there is no deviating from the path...not even a little bit.

Each morning, we cuddle in bed while he drinks his milk and I HAVE to sit with him. I don't mind, I relish our mornings - except for Saturday's and Sunday's when Daddy's home, then Momma has got to go. Then once we get up on the days we go to the gym, he's ready for that, but the days we're doing other things, he has to get out his "guitar" and sing (in reality it's a ukulele his Aunt Irene gave him but he loves it).

Each night, we brush our teeth and say prayers and then I turn on his music (its a classical CD), put on his night light and start his fan. Lately I've noticed however, is that at nap time he has to follow the bed time routine because that's just what we do. It makes total sense to him, it's craziness to me. Even more compulsive though, is that he HAS to have his green pacifier to sleep and "his" 2 blankets placed in a specific order - he must have his blue blanket Aunt Ana made him first, followed by his comforter. He recently changed out his yellow blanket a girlfriend had made when he was born for the comforter, without warning or reason, we just can't use it anymore. If you put the blankets in the wrong order, forget the light or heaven for bid, use a blue pacifier he just gets so upset. It's like the end of the world.

When he plays with his cars and trucks he has to line them up or park them perfectly aligned as they would be in a parking lot along the entire length of the couch. Everything has its order, everything has its place...we've created a monster.

5 comments:

j. said...

I think it's cute . . . but it might just be a phase. I heard kids at his age are compulsive and like repetition because it comforts them in a world where so many things are new and changing.

Either way, you better not lose that green pacifier!

Iris said...

I agree with J. Our son does so much better when there is a routine. He goes with the flow when there isn't, but he isn't as cooperative.

Leo has it made in the shade, with you being home, Lizzy. I hope you treasure it 1000 times. <3

Lisa said...

He's a great kid & I love to laugh at the little things that occur in your household. You're all a riot if you ask me.

You should have heard your mom HOWL the other day. Gerardo had to put his back up hard drive into the box it came in & put it away. Your mom watching the whole procession. The next night, something happened and she SEES him walking down the hall with the same box...she was practically hysterical with laughter cuz she thinks he's OCD with putting things in it's order. It must be some gene in the family circle, huh?

Lisa said...

To clarify: She thought he went through so much trouble & took so long to put it away that she couldn't believe he would do it all over again the next day. She thought he should've just kept it out.

It's fun to watch your mom laugh these days. I told Elena that she has the most beautiful eyes for make up. Elena tells me that I should "DO" her eyes. Of course your mom busts out in laughter and says...."How's she gonna do that she can't even SEE?????!!!!!"

Daniel said...

I was so shocked when I saw his cars in a line the other day and how quick he was to put one of the cars back in its place after I had picked it up.

OCD and obsession seem to run deep in this family. My dad I think is the best example, that hard drive routine is just the tip of the iceberg.