What is it about music that can stir old memories and make them so vivid? When my Dad died, I listened to Guns N Roses "Don't Cry" over and over again. The lyrics made me feel as though my Dad were talking me through my grief. Silly, I know, but I cried myself through that song many a time. I remember my girlfriend telling me about when her sister died, she did the same thing with a particular song.
Today, that song came on the radio as I drove and I nearly had to pull over. I was transported to a whole other time and place. I haven't heard that song since that time and I was bombarded with memories and feelings I haven't felt in so long. I had forgotten how utterly consumed with grief I was and how much guilt I carried with me during that time.
I just wonder, what song 10 years from now will remind me of all the joy I am experiencing in my home now and do all the same things again...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I know that feeling. Although it's usually dumb things. Like, "I remember listening to this song, looking out the window as we were driving, feeling this certain way." I'm not sure why it sticks with me, but it does.
But I remember the songs that were on the radio when John and I dated--they always remind me of that time :)
Very poignant post! I was thinking alot lately about you and your dad and some of those feelings of guilt you had over his death.
I went to see my dad's stone marker today as my mom drove over there, I thought of many things that happened while he was gasping for air and help. But those thoughts took me over to some of "our" conversations and this time, I totally understood where you were coming from. Logically we know the things that happen through no fault of our own; yet the psycho side of our brains allows us to trip our minds up with feelings of regrets.
Well..your post is symbolic for all of us who do liken a time period in our lives with music.
LOVE YA. Welcome to Mortality.
I know what you mean . . . although I feel it most strongly with smells. It's amazing how a certain scent can wipe away all the intervening years in my mind.
Songs for me trigger less important memories. I tend to listen to an album or short playlist on repeat as I read a book. Blink 182's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket will always remind me of Harry Potter 4.
Post a Comment