CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Service

As many of you know, I serve in my church in our woman's group, which is called Relief Society. Each quarter there are activities and gatherings for which I am responsible for. I come up with a program which is meant to be inspirational and/or uplifting and also provides the ladies for an opportunity to learn something that will benefit either their home or families. Tonight, is our first meeting of the year, it is a dinner. Lots of work is involved and all my duties at home really get put on hold - everything. I haven't even made the bed for the last two days...(how embarrassing). From the moment we get up we've been on a tight schedule, running all over town getting last minute items and meeting with people to do more preparations.

Of course, through all of this, I am dragging my kiddo. Today, we met at the church to set-up and again, I dragged Leo. I brought his Thomas the Train Engine for him to ride around, and some snacks and let him have free run of the church. When I was a child, I have few memories from when I was very young. I remember when my Mom learned how to drive in the church parking lot and I remember going with her as she served in the Family History Library. That's about it until I am about 7 or 8 years old.

I find myself realizing Little Leo is close to the same age I was from those memories, and I can only hope that if he remembers anything, he will remember that I served at church. Whenever I serve, I remember the adage, "When in the service of your fellow man, you are in the service of your God". I want Leo to know that that was important to me, that church mattered, and that I lived it, and that it was more than just merely a part of our life. I want him to remember it shaped our lives. Most of all, I want God to be important to him.

6 comments:

Iris said...

He will remember and I hope he will eventually follow your same path :) You're a good person :)

Lisa said...

I really loved this post. I totally felt the love and strength of your testimony. I love seeing people's kids at those setting up times. I do believe all of that stuff resonates with the kids. As he gets older, let him do more to help you in your callings. That makes him & you feel good. '

One thing for sure, and I'm sure that's why I felt the Spirit so strongly reading this post is that SERVICE allows us to feel the LOVE of the LORD and in touching lives, we feel the SPIRIT. It's powerful. That's why those young missionaries have so many spiritual experiences day in and day out even though there are many, many trials, struggles and challenges doing the Lord's work. Sorry if I overstepped my comment soap box moment. : ) LOVE YOU.

j. said...

OK, now I'm tearing up. You're an amazing mother and an amazing person. Leo's lucky to have you. (We all are.) You're just so good at dialing in to what's most important in life and trying to give it to your son.

For what it's worth, I think he'll absolutely remember your tradition of service and faith. I can't remember anything my parents told me when I was little--except to stick close at the mall or I'd get lost in "the shuffle"--but I remember that family and church were the most important things in their life, because of the way they lived their lives. I remembered what they did, not what they said. And because family and church mattered so very much to them, they matter to me. It's a virtuous circle.

K. Baez said...

I agree with the other comments. He will remember. I have many memories of running free in the church while my parents were serving. We were always at the church. It is important to them and now to me and hopefully it will be for my son as well. You're a good mom!

Lisa said...

You are such a great mom. Seriously--you're amazing. And I love that you're setting this example for him, and he WILL remember. He is so lucky to have you as a mom.

Hermana Iverson said...

This post really touched the heart of me. I've been there, and you so eloquently put thoughts and hopes into words. I don't want my kids to only remember the chores, the homework or nagging. I want them to remember that I served God with my whole heart. I think Leo will have that--I've seen both you and Leonard show him how important it is in your home. He will know.